Your UMW Domains cPanel include a File Manager that allows you to interact directly with the files stored in your webhosting account. This can be useful if you want to upload software that cannot be automatically installed via the Web Applications section of your cPanel, if you need to change the name or permissions of a file or group or files, or if you want to edit a plain text file. To access your files via the File Manager, use these steps:
- To get started you'll need to login to your control panel by going to the UMW Domains homepage and clicking Login.
- Here you'll login with the username and password that was provided to you with the Welcome email during the signup process.
- Once logged in you'll be at the homepage of your control panel. The easiest way to navigate the panel is using the search feature in the top right panel. Click the Search box and type "File Manager" (without the quotes). As you type, the cPanel page will begin to narrow down results, and soon the only visible options will be File Manager and Legacy File Manager. The Legacy File Manager is not as user-friendly, so click the File Manager button to continue.
- In the File Manager Directory Selection window, choose the Web root (/public_html/www) option. This will take you directly into the folder that contains the files associated with your website(s). To proceed, click Go.
- On the left side of the "File Manager" window, you'll see a navigation menu containing the file structure of your webhosting account. More information about the contents of these files and folders can be found in the "File Structures and the File Manager" documentation in this knowledgebase. You'll notice your current location (the public_html folder) is bolded and highlighted in this menu. Click the [+] (expand) icon next to a folder to see what subfolders it contains, or click on the name of the folder to view all of its contents in the file browser on the right side of the page. You can also navigate through the folders in your account by double-clicking on them in the file browser on the right side of the "File Manager" page.
- To select an item, click once on its icon in the file browser. You can also use the "Select All" button above the file browser, or your computer's keyboard shortcuts (Shift, Command, Control, etc), to select multiple items from this list.
- Depending on what you have selected, different options will be available to you in the action menu across the top of the "File Manager" page. If you have selected a folder, for example, you can Rename it or Change Permissions on it, but not edit it using the Code Editor or HTML Editor.
- If you know exactly what location you want to skip to within your webhosting account, you can type it into the box directly above the navigation menu and click Go.
- Alternatively, if you know the exact name of the file or folder you are looking for, but not its location, you can use the Search box to find it.